What does this mean?
Optimizing health can take many forms. One pillar of health is diet (see our diet consult page). Other pillars include appropriate exercise; clean filtered or spring water; and a clean environment. Preventive health in our eyes includes basics like yearly heartworm and Lyme disease screening, but also appropriate chiropractic care as well as appropriate nail trimming to enable a natural, resilient stance and prevent toe and stifle/knee pain. There are also screening tests we do to optimize health, and yearly treatments to decrease the risk of disease in old age.
And finally, optimizing your own health, especially your mental and emotional health, is one of the best things you can do for your pet!
What services do you offer to
- Chiropractic - this varies from monthly to yearly depending on the individual patient. Dogs at high risk due to breed, such as dachshunds, or due to an individual combination of delicacy and high activity, such as some toy breed patients, often come in every 3 months. Individuals who have suffered from disc disease or spinal trauma also benefit from frequent gentle chiropractic care. Athletes benefit from visits every 1-3 months. Other healthy dogs may only get checked and adjusted yearly, when distortions in their spines from hard play or the occasional slip can be found and addressed before becoming more serious spinal arthritis or disc disease. [move this to chiropractic page?Summarize to : Chiropractic every 1-12 months benefits most dogs, whose active lifestyles indoors and outdoors make them prone to spinal distortion. Early chiropractic care can prevent spinal arthritis, spondylosis, and disc disease.]
- Emotion Code or Luo Acupuncture: These are two techniques to address the emotional energies that can become displaced to our dogs. Regular care for the emotional stresses of our pets, especially those who come to comfort us all the time, may be a crucial step for cancer prevention
- Nail trims - Long nails not only contribute to twisted and arthritic toes, which I suspect we have all seen in dogs, but also alter a dog's stance out of an optimal, balanced pose into one that carries chronic stress in the connective tissue. Judith Shoemaker, DVM, has argued persuasively that this pose may contribute to the degeneration of dog cruciate ligaments that occurs before cruciate injuries actually happen. Appropriate nail trims are a great investment in your dog's health.
- Energetic body screen - our reiki practitioner Dee Dee is quite sensitive to discomfort in the body [explain? Refer to reiki page?]
- Preventive labwork:
- Vitamin D - explain benefits
- Glyphosate screening in the urine - explain
- Heavy metal screening using hair analysis
- DNA testing for known diseases
- Routine blood chemistry, CBC, and thyroid screening in patients 8-9 years of age and older
- Ultrasound evaluation to screen for splenic masses breeds prone to them
Well, we're not astronauts, so how does that affect us? These days, we spend a lot of time in concrete buildings, constructed and reinforced with rebar that blocks the ability for magnetics to transfer through them. We wear rubber soled shoes and drive cars with rubber wheels, insulating ourselves from the natural exposure our bodies are accustomed to. Humanity as a whole spends more time indoors than ever before, and often our animal companions do as well.
The buildings we live and work in, the cars we drive, the shoes we wear, all basically act as Faraday cages, cutting us off from the Schumann resonance, that Earth Pulse that our bodies and minds thrive from being connected to.
PEMF projects that same field, that same pulse, directly into our bodies or those of our beloved animal companions, cutting through all the electromagnetic smog of modern living, and pierces through the insulation buildup of our everyday lives.
In that sense, the answer to the question of "Who needs PEMF?" is really "Everybody!", but we'll ask and answer the question below, nonetheless.
Who needs PEMF?
Well... everybody! But more specifically, PEMF is amazing for animals and people who are dealing with things like any and all types of arthritis, acute injuries like strained psoas or torn ACLs, IVDD or disc disease of the neck and back, neurological diseases including degenerative myelopathy, heart disease (and heart murmurs), kidney disease (both chronic and acute), inflammatory bowel disease, and more.
PEMF helps pain management by reducing pain levels throughout the body and reducing inflammation, not just in joints but also in organs, as it penetrates deeply into the body and affects the body - all of it - at a cellular level. PEMF stimulates production of the ATP cell (adenosine triphosphate), which is like our body's fuel source. These are the cells that transport energy throughout our body, and are thus directly responsible for its continued function.
By stimulating the production of those cells, PEMF is also able to improve the circulation of blood throughout the body, improve muscle coordination and increase nerve regeneration, and even improve antioxidant levels within the body.
What to expect from PEMF?
Treatment is administered through loops or coils that are attached to the PEMF unit, and are laid across, atop, or under the patient. The treatment requires no particular position for the patient to be in, and can even follow them around the room (as well as I'm able to keep up with them, at any rate).
During treatment, the patient might feel a vibrating or trembling sensation within the muscle groups being targeted; this would not be an unpleasant sensation, and is rarely painful, but it could be surprising or disconcerting for the uninitiated. Patients tend to become familiar with it quite quickly, and even look forward to their appointments as they learn that when they receive PEMF, they feel better afterwards.
PEMF's benefits are largely cumulative, and strong results are usually seen after two or three sessions. Treatment is normally 30 minutes in length, though initial consultations are only 15 minutes. When first getting started with PEMF, we recommend either weekly or bi-weekly (every other week) appointments, as time allows.
Once we start to see strong results, we look to spread appointments out further to see how long the benefit lasts, before either settling into a comfortable routine and rhythm for our more frequent visitors, or eventually reaching a point where PEMF is no longer required when treating an acute injury.
When treating human patients, we do note that we cannot treat patients with pacemakers, and electronic devices (such as cellphones) should be kept away from the treatment area when the machine is on, as otherwise their batteries will drain more quickly. Beyond that, the only side effect of PEMF is that the patients may feel relaxed and a little sleepy after treatment.
Feel free to give us a call at 860-200-1345 to book an Initial PEMF Consultation, or you can book online via our online booking link at the top of the page.